Tuesday, June 26, 2007

We Interrupt Your Normal Stitching Gossip For This Important Message

District 18 School Bus Petition
http://www.district18schoolbus.com
Elementary school students in the Fredericton area have always been able to take a school bus to their after school day care, even if it is outside of their school zone.

What is the point of educating our daughters? District 18 has gone on long enough with their discriminating policies that make it almost impossible for women who persue a higher education to be a productive member of the work force. Ignoring the crucial link between their system and the afterschool programs is not just ignorant, it is discriminatory. When push comes to shove it's a disproportionate amount of women who end up picking up their children, how many employers are going to accept mother's leaving work every day at 2 pm?

Have they even assessed the environmental impact of that many parents driving unnessary kilometers? Is carpooling an option? I think you can take Ontario's legislation that children need to be in booster seats until the age of 9 as a firm no. Think of the logistics of shuffling carseats, such a move puts our children in grave danger.

Regardless of your location I ask that you please sign this petition and stand up for the children of Fredericton and say NO to discrimination. Please forward this to as many people as possible as together we can make a difference.

Katie

4 comments:

Lori said...

My sympathies...I hope you don't need to burn any bras to get what women deserve. What century do we live in anyway? I hear horror stories all the time.

" Whatever women do, they must do twice as well as men, to be thought half as good...Luckily this is NOT difficult" (chuckle)

Pumpkin said...

I'm with you 100%!

Lori said...

Even women discriminate against thier own.

I used to work for a women's clothing store, and when I needed to breast feed my baby (on my break) they wouldn't let me do so in the store at all...blaming it on Safety hazards, and the Human Rights said I would loose. They cut back my hours and forced me to choose as a result. I quit, but with alot of resentment.
I don't have much confidence in Human Rights.

Lori said...

That was 1994, in case you are thinging it was turn of century, lol. ;)