Thursday, June 14, 2007

I Hate Minor Hockey

There...I said it.

There was a time when I used to enjoy watching the sport but now the only excitement it generates is when one of the pro-Cdn teams makes it to the playoffs and it's more excitement in the revenue it generates, but again that's any sports team. Last night we had to sit through yet another meeting and yet another vote on supporting rinks that the city has already gone ahead and built and if we want to pay more for them. What a load of dog dung that was, we've already said no. So instead of listenning to that they offered up a couple more selected 'sports' with minimal user fees 10-15 dollar range to try to sell an extra tax so the hockey parents wouldn't have to fork out 600+ in user fees. I'm sorry, minor hockey imho is a sport for the priviledged and really I DON'T feel sorry for people that have to pay out. 300+ in registration and another 200-400 for gear, I'm supposed to want to help people with that when the amount they want to up my taxes is the registration for MY non hockey playing son's swimming lessons which are not covered? I have yet to figure out what is so great about hockey. Growing up I played basketball and when we were ranked at the top of the province and hockey a solid last we always had to do our own fundraising while they were given new uniforms. The school bought a new van, we got the old one and when we did get the new one after that team had it for a couple weeks, the old van was looking in better shape. I watch my sister in law with her two boys in the program, they're NEVER home and rarely together as a FAMILY. My nephew was about 8 for our wedding last May and they couldn't come to our wedding, on a long weekend, due to hockey....in May.... erm, yeah. Frankly I like sports that have a set season, not two seasons that equate to the whole year. Don't even get me started about the fact that the last two years there have been tournaments on the Easter weekend. Yeesh, I online game on top of stitching and all 'guild' activities were cancelled for the Christian holiday, online gamers are NOT the ones you'd expect to have more family values. Sure, there were the bleeding heart parents of hockey there, do I really feel sorry for you when your robbing my son of what he likes to do after you're forking out 500+ already. IMHO Hockey is a sport for a well to do one child family, the odd schedules, driving, $$ are just too much to juggle and still be strong family unit with any additional children. There are soo many other choices (football, soccer, swimming, basketball, martial arts, fencing, baseball, volleyball, raquetball, badminton, gofling, gymnastics, orientering, hiking, biking, kayaking, water polo, ultimate frisbee, rugby, cheerleading) that it just disgusts me how much money and time gets invested in a program that hopes to push out another Sydney Crosby. And with that I'll end my rant.

We had a really fun family weekend. Friday night we went to the Bucket Club and shot some mini golf with Alex, followed by a quick trip to the driving range. Saturday we lived outside, playing and reading books in the beautiful sunshine until it was time to get the boys to the barber for a haircut. Alex was beginning to look like a wooly mammoth. While they were getting their trims I found a replacement for my burning bush that died over the winter, wooo hoo. I was worried I wouldn't be able to get one near the same size as the one I was replacing but I managed to find one at Walmart. Sunday we headed to Yoho Lake for Alex's end of year Beaver party. It was soo much fun. Just the right amount of children were there and there was lots of outdoor play and the kids got to try out Kayaking. Alex enjoyed getting out for a swim and didn't want to leave, even if he was falling asleep the whole drive home ;)

I've been trying to decide on my next project. I think it'll be Bethlehem Christamas by SB. The buttons and fabric arrived from my one little stash purchase (25% off and a crazy Canadian dollar, I'm sticking to my no new patterns though until 50 are complete). I've been good, passing up the drawers I could use in my craft room as well as an elliptical for now so I thought I deserved a little 20 break :) Lately though I've been on a reading kick and it's just one of those activities that is not possible to do at the same time. I can now say I'm on the last of my borrowed Scrapbooking mysteries and then it'll be on to putting a dent in my own book collection (although with Sins and Needles coming out on paperback next month as well as the new HP my Sue Grafton's may have to wait just a little bit longer ;))

3 comments:

Shannon said...

I may be hockey crazy, but I do agree with you. Hockey is too expensive to fund through tax dollars. They'd get more bang for their buck by spreading the wealth around to other sports - like swimming. To me swimming is more than a sport. It's a safety initiative as well. More children taking swimming, more children knowing how to swim - it's just safer all the way around.

Sounds like a great weekend :)

Lori said...

I don't wanna support programs my kids are not interested in either...I get your point, totally!

We can't afford any outside activities, and I think our family is pretty close. We spend alot of time at home, and we have our hobbies like gaming, cycling, trips to a pool,park or movie. We have freedom to attend special events most of the time. That's the way I was brought up, and I'm not going nuts trying to schedule where people will be, and when. Our family vehicle belong to the company my husband works for, so it's not available much. I like our "Spur-of-the-moment" strategy...it teaches my kids patience and understanding, and to appreciate all we are given.
I gotta stop ranting, lol ;)
I'm glad I'm not alone on the "Hockey" topic.

Pumpkin said...

I can definitely understand your rant. I have heard such things about programs for children. I don't understand how families are able to support more than one child, let alone one!

Fun weekend! We have to get over and mini putt ourselves :o)